DEPARTMENT: Laboratory Animal Resources
REPORTS TO: Director of Veterinary Services
Clinical and preventative medical assessment and care of all laboratory species with participation in all procedures and policies related to animal care and husbandry in a GLP-compliant pre-clinical contract research facility. Responsible for strengthening the CBSET training program for all staff, including veterinary interns. Enhance tracking system for equipment, training, SOPs. Direct involvement in studies, including collection, review and publication of data. 1 year position with support for ACLAM Board preparation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide clinical and preventative medicine for all laboratory species, including on-call coverage.
- Foster and expand the CBSET internship program.
- Involvement in the training of technical staff involved in handling of laboratory animals.
- Consult/collaborate with scientists/study directors on model development.
- Participate in compliance with USDA and FDA regulations, OLAW guidelines and AAALAC recommendations.
- Assist with oversight of facility operations and maintenance.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Inclusion in IACUC processes, such as protocol review and semi-annual facility inspections.
- Education: D.V.M/V.M.D. degree or equivalent plus completion of 2-4 year post doctoral residency program in Comparative Medicine/Laboratory Animal Medicine.
- Experience: Experience in a pre-clinical laboratory environment preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: ACLAM board eligible preferred, MA Veterinary Licensure, driver’s license
- Must be able to perform laboratory procedures, which require talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (Personal Protective Equipment) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Research laboratory/medical environment, which requires use of sharp objects, working around mechanical parts, working with or near known or unknown toxic or caustic chemicals and biological hazards, exposure to fumes and airborne particles, working at a quiet to moderate noise levels.
- This position will require performing duties on weekends and/or holidays.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV, and 3 professional references to Dr. Misty Williams-Fritze at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their position. • The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. • Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.