DEPARTMENT: Veterinary Services & Technical Operations
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Technical Operations
The Surgical Supervisor will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of CBSET’s surgical suites and associated procedural support rooms. In this leadership role, the Surgical Supervisor will work directly with the Department management, Technical Operations staff, Study Directors and Sponsors to perform all aspects of large and small animal surgery and support. Additionally, the Surgical Supervisor will provide training and education to junior surgical technicians in order to continually encourage and develop the growth of the Technical Operations staff. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with IACUC requirements, current veterinary surgical standards and FDA-regulated medical device study requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote corporate mission, vision and objectives and foster a cultures of professionalism, quality, excellence and teamwork.
- Oversee daily operations of the surgical suites, including set up/take down, instrument sterilization, supply stocking/inventory, and equipment.
- Manage micro-scheduling of technical staff.
- Conduct and schedule staff for training on animal handling, surgical and support procedures, and equipment usage, as well as collaborate with surgeons and interventionalists to provide advanced training opportunities to research technicians (e.g. technical certifications, preparation of computer-based learning modules).
- Oversee and assist with anesthetic management, pre- and post-operative nursing care and dose administration.
- Assist surgeons/interventionalists/technicians with procedures, as needed.
- Oversee the coordination of sample collections.
- Coordinate with technical staff to determine study supply needs
Schedule/coordinate equipment maintenance to ensure compliance with company procedures (e.g. preventative maintenance).
- Make recommendations on equipment/instrument repair and/or purchase.
- Participate in interviews and the hiring selection process.
- Generate and/or revise corporate documents, such as SOPs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (BS) in biology, veterinary science or a related scientific field.
- Experience: Minimum of two years hands-on surgical and supervisory/managerial experience in an academic or regulatory nonclinical environment, preferably with involvement in the conduct of GLP studies.
- Certification/Licensure: Valid driver’s license. Certification/licensure as a veterinary technician (CVT/LVT), through the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS; ALAT, LAT, LATg) or Academy of Surgical Research (SRS or SRT) is strongly preferred.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, staff and individuals inside and outside of the company.
- Other: Proficiency with computers and standard application software (e.g., Microsoft Office and other company-specific software applications).
- Must be able to perform laboratory procedures, which require talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (Personal Protective Equipment) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to consistently lift and move at least 50 pounds.
- Animal facility and laboratories with moderate noise possible.
- Exposure to potential zoonotic agents, hazardous/noxious devices (e.g., needles, scalpel blades, etc.), chemicals (e.g., anesthetic gases, formalin, alcohols, xylenes, etc.) and/or radiation.
- Office working environment with quiet noise conditions.
- This position requires regular local travel between facilities and weekend and/or holiday duties.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their position. • The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. • Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
If you are interested in this opportunity please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.