DEPARTMENT: Veterinary Services & Technical Operations
REPORTS TO: Department Supervisor/Manager or Director
LOCATION: Grafton, MA Facility
A senior-level position with the expectations of independent functionality. The Herd Manager will be involved in the daily function of animal care and management of a swine production herd and the associated business functionalities associated with said herd.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage a swine production facility, including breeding duties, piglet processing, animal allocation for internal studies, outside sales and transportation coordination.
- Clean and sanitize animal housing and support areas.
- Handle and restrain multiple swine.
- Identify/notify/assist with resolution of issues related to animal care and housing (e.g., problems with lighting, temp, humidity, cage repair, light handyman duties, facility preventative maintenance, etc.).
- Assist with animal transportation, including coordination of shipping/receiving and driving a company-owned vehicle.
- Perform food consumption and clinical observations, as required.
- Order feed and coordinate bulk delivery.
- Order supplies for department needs.
- Replenish all PPE stations in the animal facility, hallways and other supportive rooms as needed.
- Perform weekly and monthly facility duties (e.g. eye wash stations, carcass disposal, filter replacement, maintain equipment/caging, etc.).
- Function as a Designated Trainer for various standard operating procedures.
- Assist, as needed, technical staff in departmental areas.
- Effective oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on organization and customer service.
- Work effectively as a team member.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education:High school or GED required. BA/BS in scientific field preferred.
- Experience: Minimum 3-5 years experience managing livestock breeding operations required. Business management and experience working in a research setting strongly preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: ALAT/LAT preferred. Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to perform laboratory procedures, which require talking, hearing, standing or sitting for long periods of time, entering data into a computer, using appropriate instruments, reaching with hands and arms, working in narrow spaces, and wearing safety equipment (Personal Protective Equipment) according to OSHA regulations and company standards.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to consistently lift and move at least 50 pounds.
- Animal facility and laboratories with moderate noise possible.
- Exposure to potential hazardous/noxious devices (e.g., needles, scalpel blades, etc.), chemicals (e.g., anesthetic gases, formalin, alcohols, xylenes, etc.), animal odors, and/or radiation.
- General office working conditions.
- This position will require performing duties on weekends and/or holidays.
- Hours may vary.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their position. • The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. • Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
If you are interested in this opportunity please send your CV to email@example.com.